Date – Sunday, December 6, 2020 – Focus on Mary
Bible Reading – Luke 1:46-55 – And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, 47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, 48 for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; 49 for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. 50 And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. 51 He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; 52 he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; 53 he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. 54 He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, 55 as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”
1. What is Mary’s song primarily about?
2. How does she view herself?
3. How does she view God?
1. Are there any commands to obey?
2. Are there any sins to avoid or confess?
3. Are there any examples to follow?
4. Are there any promises to claim? Quote of the Day – “This section, commonly called the Magnificat, in many ways resembles Hannah’s prayer of thanksgiving and praise to God recorded in I Samuel 2:1–10. It illustrates Mary’s rich acquaintance with the Old Testament Scriptures and the closeness of her fellowship with the Lord.” – Dr. James A Borland in The KJV Bible Commentary